Tuesday, May 15, 2012

One Day at a Time

It has been three months since my last post. I normally try to update the blog at least once a month. Recently we have been on quite a roller coaster which kept me from writing. Having said that, I have a lot to catch up on. This is going to be a long one. Grab a seat and drink before you venture on! :)

Quinn's First Easter


Where do I begin? So after Quinn was born we began to notice that she just didn't seem well. She was very upset all the time and if she was awake she was screaming at you. She would cry so much that we were lucky to get 2-4 hours of sleep a night. We would have gotten more but Quinn's big brother enjoys waking up when the sun "wakes up" (about 6am). We went for her 2 week check up and the doctor tested her stools for blood. She was positive. The doctor suspected food allergies. It was at that point the doctor put me on a no dairy, soy, wheat, egg, nut, or fish diet. Basically, all I could eat was meat, fruits and veggies. It was awful. On top of her allergies she was throwing up all the time. I know many babies have projectile vomit, Edison graced us with this, but Quinn threw up everything until it was bile. She was in so much pain. We then had to have x-rays taken at Cardon Children's Hospital. It was so upseting. They had to strap her body down while she drank barium. I cried almost as much as she did. They then diagnosed her with reflux. After about 2 months of the world's worst diet and a reflux/colicky baby I was ready to give up breastfeeding. Quinn had different plans. She refused the formula. I didn't blame her, it smells awful. I thought it should be made from gold for how expensive it is! So more dieting for mom. Luckily, we were able to trick her into taking the formula right before I went back to work. Now that Quinn is on the formula she has been doing great! She is a happy, smiley baby and we are soaking it all in. She even began sleeping through the night. She will wake up from time to time if her binky falls out but we get about 8 hours a night. She is already growing up too fast.

Our first Easter as a family of four


While all this was happening with Quinn, my dad was fighting his own battle. As most of you know my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. It originated on his appendix and spread throughout his entire mid-section. We found out in December when we thought he was going in for an appendectamy. My dad then began chemo. He was fitted with a port and went in for chemo once every 2 weeks. It was really intense for my dad. He would have to come home with a pack after a few hours at the hospital. It made him very sick. While he was on chemo we got the news that he was elegible for "hot chemo". The procedure was scheduled for April 23rd. During the surgery they cut out many of the cancerous tumors and doused his insides with chemo. I was able to leave the kids with wonderful friends and family and stay in Tucson with my sisters and mom during and after the surgery. It was a blessing to be there. After waiting about 12 hours the doctor came out to tell us that my dad did really well but the cancer could not be cured. He didn't want to risk my dad's quality of life. This is something they discussed before the surgery. We are now making the most of everyday! My dad still has a lot of life to live and we are going to live it with him to the fullest.

Such a cool guy. On our daily "pajama walk" in the morning.


After the surgery my dad shocked the doctors and nurses by recovering so quickly. He was up and walking the day after this very intense surgery. He was moved out of ICU 2 days ahead of schedule and moved into the transplant unit where they cared for him the rest of the week. My dad was released a week ahead of schedule.

At the hospital in Tucson visiting Papa

My dad was able to come on April 30th (my mom's birthday). After coming home my dad became very dehydrated and re-addmitted to the hospital in Tucson. They released him again on the 4th (my dad's birthday) and by the 5th my dad had taken a turn for the worse. That night my mom had to call the ambulance and they took him to the Chandler Hospital. They diagnosed him with a bowel obstruction but weren't able to give any information on why he was so sick with fever, pain, and a terrible rash the went all over his side.

Edison is a great big brother!


After almost a week in Chandler and no resolve to any of his ailments, he was transported to Tucson again. Almost immediatly his doctor diagnosed him. His bowel had detached and my dad had gone septic, thus the rash. My dad was taken to surgery right away. His surgery was on Friday. He will continue to be taken care of at UMC in Tucson for 2 weeks. Hopefully he will be able to be released after the end of those two weeks.


Hanging out waiting to head to the hospital to see Papa



Our family has been through so much this past couple months. I know many of you have been following my dad's blog which my mom updates religiously. We need as many prayers as we can get. My dad has a long road ahead of him but we know how strong he is and he will get though this. Check out my dad's progress on his blog, http://joekahler.blogspot.com.


My dad after the initial surgery

After my dad's initial surgery I returned to work on April 30th after 11 weeks off. I thank heaven above that I was able to take the time off to be with my sick little baby and my dad. Upon returning I applied for a new job at the school I am currently working at. I was elated when I got the news that the job was mine. I am now the reading specialist for Walker Butte. I will be responsible for working with the students who struggle to read. It will be a little sad to not have a class of my own but I could not be more excited to take on this next big step in my career. I begin my new job at the beginning of next year.

At my cousin Sarah's wedding. We had a blast.

Thank you for bearing with me. I know this was quite the entry! I will try and update more often. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment